I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Trying to Change My Thoughts

I am still stuck on stress.  I just can't seem to leave the Fear and Worry Zone.  The longer my daughter is sober, though, I do notice more frequent periods of calm.  I was reading an article on miracles.  I can't remember the rabbi's name, but I liked the way he described miracles, because it makes them more accessable and less 'hit and miss.'  He said (and I'm paraphrasing)  that miracles, by definition, mean something supernatural.  An event that is above what nature would normally, do.  So, he explained, the birth of a child, though a blessing, is not necessairly a miracle, because it is what nature does naturally. ( I would argue, here that those people who have been told that they can not have children and then get pregnant, in my mind that would be a miracle, because the natural progress of those individuals would have become supernatural if they did have a child).  Anyway, a few days before I read that, my daughter and I had had a fight.  I really can't explain what happened other than I couldn't take it anymore, and I came home, never intending to begin to cry and explain how horrible I felt, but I did.  In that conversation, I said how I just don't feel like living (meaning ending life) in this situation.  This hell that addiction has lowered us into.  She left the house, angry, saying that she was going to buy alcohol and find a hotel, and drink herself to death.  I was panicked.  I called this help line, and they sent people over, who said to call the police, too.  I wanted to hospitalize her because I was sure she was going to go through with it.  The police did find her waiting for a bus (we live in a rather small town) and she told them that she was just going to go cash her pay check.  While she was out, the people from the help line place, stayed and talked but there was really nothing they could do.  So, everyone left, and I was alone, imagining the worst.  A few hours later, my daughter came back home.  We had both calmed down, and she did not buy alcohol.  Instead, she bought two books, as well as one for me, called: Fail Better.  It is a book of quotes about failing, and rising above it.   So, then I find the article, and reflect on what happened, and realized I had witnessed a miracle.  I told my daughter about the article, and SHE proposed that, "So you think it was a miracle that I didn't but alcohol, as I would usually have done if I was sad or upset?"  I said, 'Yes."  And she agreed.  That memory gives me hope when I'm Stuck on Stress.  That it is possible for people to change, and miracles surely do happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment