I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Grace

Yesterday, Sunday, was a transitional day for me.  Transitional in the sense that it notched up my coming closer to God, instead of being angry and resentful and turning away because He wasn't doing anything to wake us up from this nightmare we've been in for 3 years. 

The day started with my daughter leaving for work.  Since I wasn't sure, but maybe suspected, that she had bought alcohol on her way home last night, I was still following my 'not asking' commitment, and we had a pleasant morning and off she went.  I showered and got ready for church. 

In church, the message was about God's Grace.  That it wasn't a 'one time fill up' but that it was necessary to pray a lot to ask for Grace in the moment.  I left the service feeling peaceful and equiped.  My daughter is at work for 10 hours a day on the weekend.  She is life guarding at a small community pool.  I told her that I would stop by (it's a 20 minute drive from our home) and drop off some lunch.  So, after church, I went grocery shopping, made a run through the drive through, and on to the pool.  I was calm and still refreshed by the sermon.  When I got to the pool, and she came over to take her lunch from me, my radar kicked in and I picked up on some traits that develop when she has been drinking.  Mind you, not noticable by anyone else, but I know.  BUT I didn't ask.  I didn't get upset, I still had the peace from the morning.  I calmly drove back home, and calmly made a plan.  (Reminder: I said I wouldn't ask, I haven't committed to letting her hit rock bottom if that means driving while drinking, even though it isn't sloppy drunk).  So, I arrived home, unpacked the groceries, and made a plan to walk back to the pool, and read while I waited for her to close, and then drive her home.  (I get the, 'let them be responsible for their consequences' idea, however, I can't condone letting those consequences interfere with someone else's life, especially in a potentially tragic way) So, that part of my enabling is still present, I guess.  Anyway, though the drive is 20 minutes, the walk is about 3 hours because of the alternate route I would have to take to stay off of the highway.   As I was getting my tennis shoes on, I was pray for Grace and help. 

I left the house, and began walking down the street.  I happened to look up and saw a black and white cat run into some bushes across the street.  My neighbor has a black and white cat who is always escaping from the house, and she worries about his saftey.  The thought came into my head to turn around and mention the cat to them, just in case it was her cat.  Initially, I thought no, I'll keep walking.  But then that inner voice advised me to turn around, so I did.  When I turned around, I saw my son pull up infront of the house.  I walked to my neighbor who was on her porch and asked about her cat.  Fortunately, he was safe inside.  Then I went into my house with my son, who ended up driving me to the pool.  When I went into the house, here is what I realized.  God took care of that small situation.  If I hadn't followed that small inner voice, and turned around, I wouldn't have seen my son.  So, I prayed, "God, if you can take care of this small situation, please continue working in the storm we are in." 

I will finish later, but I think it is important to say that God is there.  There is a devine, supernatural God who is there--we just have to ask and then be aware. 

No comments:

Post a Comment