I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Friday, August 12, 2011

The Bubble Over Effect

I halted my morning today (it's what vacation time is for, right?) and watched the movie, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."  I read the book a while, ago, and liked it, so I was interested in the movie.  I really liked the movie.  One of the characters he met in heaven, told him that hate has a curved blade.  I liked that saying.  I can see how it applies to being an enabler and a parent of a child with addiction.  It also made me realize how many people are effected by addiction. Not just the person who's afflicted, and the family, but the Bubble Over Effect that those experiences and emotions have on everyone and every experience you have.  My work, friendships, person at the check out, person in front of me at the check out, all of these people, and then some have been effected by this.  The hatred I feel for what this has done to my child can turn that anger on my child, and God, and my boss, as well as myself.  The list is long.  How I deal with my child and the addiction, effects how I deal with other problems, and joys.  It has caused me to bypass some joys that may have been helpful to dealing with this.   It has turned that hatred into myself and the choices I've made have been fueled by that hate.  So, having said that, my thoughts on enabling and the experiences of living with addiction is not limited to just those two topics, because everything bubbles over onto everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment