I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Friday, August 19, 2011

The Pot Blows Up

Wow, I am feeling sick as I write this, oddly, a little hopeful, too.  I think the sick feeling is coming from all of the horrible events that could have taken place.  Here we go.  My daughter is not a daily drinker, she is like a binge drinker.  She can go for several weeks or months and not drink anything.  Then a sad emotion over takes her (usually about the old boy friend she refuses to emotionally let go of) and then it starts.  I can pick up on the initial signs almost perfectly.  If I could get paid for that part of being a psychic, I would be head to head with Oprah in Forbes. 

So, I could tell Sunday morning that something was up, but she was still okay, and said she hadn't been drinking (did I mention that drinking turns her into a Ms. Hyde, and compulsive liar?)  But, I was following the, 'Let them go and hit bottom' advice, and let her go to work.  She was supposed to be off at 4, but never made it home.  I did take a friend to go looking for her at 7:00 pm, dreading that I would see her car at work and her passed out somewhere. But, no, no car.  I checked a few other places, and nothing, so I thought maybe I was wrong.  Though worried, I was trying to let it go.  I ended up falling asleep on the couch, and at 11:30 get a call from the hospital saying that my daughter was there, brought in by the local police because she was confused and disoriented.  Long story short, she was found in her car, in the ally behind our house, with a bottle of vodka between her legs.  Car not moving.  She was not arrested. Two o'clock in the morning, I walk to the police station to find out what has happened, after I go to the emergency room where I leave her because it is making me too sick to sit there and watch her passed out. 

No one is at the police station at 2, so I go home and fall asleep until I get a call at 5 from the police (I had left them a message to call so that I could find out what happened).  After the call, I went down to the station to talk to him in person.  She has already had one dui, but it was expunged because of a program our state has, three years ago.  The officer told me that he wasn't sure what he was going to do. He said that it was at his discretion, as long as the man across the street from me, who's car she apparently bumped, didn't want to press charges.  The next morning, I pick her up from the hospital, and take her home, then go pick up her car at the garage where it was towed.  Not a mark on it, so I wasn't sure why they were saying she hit the truck across the street, but anyway, a very long three day wait.  My daughter is going to school, and on Tues, and Wed. when she came home, she tried to go and see the officer.  She caught him there Wed. afternoon.  They talked. (He still had the bottle of vodka in the office, a little less than half full, and asked her if she wanted it.  She declined.)  He told her that he did not want to ruin her schooling with a second dui or charges.  He asked her if she would enter a program or get counseling and check in with him, because if he did charge her, that would be mandatory. She said yes.  He told her he could arrest her within the next two years, so that she needs to take her sobriety seriously.  Basically, A GIFT FROM GOD that no one was killed, injured, disrupted by this STUPID act.  I am so mad and sick right now. 

On the positive, this may have been her scared straight moment.  We did talk and she (first time ever) asked if I would come with her to get evaluated this weekend.  She is back on the antabuse (makes her extremely ill if she would drink) and even was open to finding info in breathalyzers for the car.  I know this all sounds crazy, but trust me, it is much lower on the crazy scale than we've been in years.  I can't thank GOD enough for no deaths, injuries, and the mercy this officer showed. Hopefully, my daughter really is scared straight with this.  Keep praying.

2 comments:

  1. Oh SIgne - I am so sorry to hear about this latest mess. While my son was recently visiting I asked him what makes someone want to change and get better. His answer was that there are many "BIG consequences", but that it is usually a "small rock" that makes the tides turn. That "small rock" is different for everyone. I pray that our alcoholics and addicts find their "small rock".

    Big hugs to you! I know the drama can be a mother's nightmare...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee, I told my daughter about the small rock (since the boulders being thrown at her don't seem to matter). She gave me the most curious smile. I'm not sure what the meaning was, but my heart did a little skip, toward the hopeful side. I feel like buying a bag of pebbles at Home Depot and spreading them around the house!
    Thank you for your help and good wishes. Right back at ya! :)

    ReplyDelete