I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Taking Notes

I am teaching fourth, fifth and sixth graders to take notes.  We start by watching a video and I will pause it and ask if anyone heard anything important, and the students will say what they heard and felt was important, and then I help them refine their choices and as a group, we write the first note.  It's interesting to listen to what they perceive as important.  At one point in the video (it was about ancient Africa) there were people walking with donkeys.  When I paused the video, I asked what was important, and one of the students raised her hand and answered.  She then went on to say (she is obsessed with horses and anything related to horses) that she saw the donkey, and explained how a horse and donkey mate to produce a mule.  That thought led into the 'other' name for donkey.  She commented that they say it in the Bible and, "my dad had a late birthday card that showed two people on ***es (she would nod her head, instead of saying the word--thank goodness)  and the card said, 'sorry we didn't get off of our ***es to get you a card."  Afraid that she would say the word asses, I kept telling her thank you, and telling her she could tell me later.  As I did that, another student blurted out, "Ms. R, you don't have to tell her to be quiet. I know what she's talking about.  I'm not stupid. I know what a mule is!"  I laughed out loud and assured him I didn't think he was stupid.  We moved on.

Just when we think we know what is going on, someone says something or clarifies it and a whole new picture arises.  That is how I feel trying to understand addiction.  Just when I think I have a grasp on it, some other issue arises and turns everything into a new meaning and picture. I'm finding that listening helps a lot more than lecturing.  My daughter decided to drink, again.  Almost three weeks, and for reasons I don't understand, (though I suspect it has something to do with a guilt she's feeling or a memory she can't let go of) she made this decision.  We were going to go together on a retreat this weekend that our church is holding.  I was so hopeful when she agreed and even filled out the registration form.  But, it's not to be, I guess.  I'm still going. That is the other thing that has changed.  I'm not feeling rage (though I did cry) and I'm not angry at God (though I am still confused and hurt).  I have a history of yelling and pouting with God when this happens but not now.  I sat beside her and leaned over her, put my arms around her, and prayed over her.  Then, I cried, again. 

So, I'm back to my own mental video, trying to rewind and take notes on what I may have missed, new signs, editing to see if there was any new change inching toward sobriety. My mind works like that, trying to see the reasons for experiences or watching for patterns.   I'm trying to see it for what it is (or was), and not assuming something that isn't (wasn't) there.

4 comments:

  1. Signe - I'm so sorry this happened.
    That decision to drink or use again - my son calls it the Fck-its.

    I don't mean to be rude or insensitive - that is just the term the addicts/alcoholics use to describe their decision process. In early recovery their brain tricks them and they decide it's not worth it to stay sober - for whatever reason. Treatment -along with a sponsor - can help them recognize the signs of the Fck-its so they can focus on something else and avoid slips and relapses.

    I pray your daughter obtains the tools she needs. If she already has them then maybe she'll learn to pull them out when needed.

    Be kind to yourself. No amount of waiting, watching, cajoling, or convincing that we parents do will keep them sober. Maybe it's just a one-time slip or maybe it'll be a full-blown relapse. I'm praying the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dee, I needed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a gifted writer and it blesses me to read the descriptions of your past and present experiences. I like the previous comment about pulling out the tools when they are needed. Keep sharpening the tools, remind her that the toolbox is ready. You are a good mother. As a teacher myself, I like the video idea regarding ways to help students synthesize information. I am going to try that. Hope you are able to go to the retreat. Until next time......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Shadow. I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete