I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Ordinary Days

There is a beautiful movie, I've mentioned it once before here, called The Magic of Ordinary Days.  It's usually on the Hallmark channel and if you get a chance to watch it, I highly recommend that you do.  It's quiet, slow, and ordinary, but so well done that you begin to see the magic in your own ordinary days.  I find it so reassuring and affirming especially with the nonsense and ego-centered shows that are the usual t.v. offerings.  That's what we had here this Thanksgiving break...beautiful, ordinary days.  My daughter kept her word and stopped drinking. She is 6 days sober.  We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my son, daughter and my dad.  The day, my favorite cooking day, was perfect and very ordinary.  We were all at the table and no one rushed or argued.  We enjoyed the present and it was nice.  Friday, we watched some movies, and cleaned the house, getting ready for the Christmas decorations. Saturday, we raked leaves.  My daughter crawled out on the roof to do some yearly maintenance so that there are no leaks (the house was built in 1910 and if you don't keep up with daily small maintenance, it grows to be, 'call the insurance company to see if they cover this' maintenance). I caught up on news with my friend (and neighbor) who I don't see often once the weather gets cooler.  When we came inside, I made Shepard's Pie for dinner and for dessert, we had Dutch Apple Pie and ice cream.  Yesterday, we went to JoAnn Fabric's and bought some supplies for refreshening the decorations, stopped by the grocery store to get ingredients for crab dip my daughter saw in Prevention magazine.  At home, my daughter sat at the kitchen table and made her dip, while we talked and  I made mashed potatoes and barbecued ribs for her and butternut squash ravioli for me.  The dip was delicious.  The day was magically ordinary.

3 comments:

  1. Who ever thought "normal" and "ordinary" would feel so good? Blessings to you Signe, sounds like a wonderful few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad you had such a nice few days....they sound wonderful. Just the kind of days I love too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wish I could have been there for all that good food! Your four day holiday weekend sounds glorious! Lets hope they become the new ordinary.

    ReplyDelete