I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Worn Down

Fear is a big motivator.  The mischief it can cause in your life is like a complicated upright row of dominoes being nudged and having row after row tumble down. Then, once the fear has passed and you've come to the realization that you survived and that maybe it wasn't as bad as you anticipated, you begin to meticulously realign your life, again.

This road I'm sharing with addiction has refined my vision and understanding.  I have been afraid to varying degrees, my whole life.  I don't think it has stopped me from a lot, but it has stopped me from experiencing some opportunities.  In general, though, there has been this little ant force in me that at the last moment, will push and propel me toward the moment I was afraid of and low and behold, I make it through.  Whether it was confronting someone who had done something wrong, or speaking in front of a group of people, or calling a manager of a store to compliment someone's work, I have been afraid to some degree my whole life.  It has been exhausting.

Fear is exhausting.  It's time consuming. All of the scenarios that I play in my head of what could happen are rarely the result.  Even if I do hit the right outcome in my head, it is never as devastating as the fear painted it to be.  A little feeling of dread and then, "That's it?"  I would exhale, feel a little smile of relief pulling at the edges of my mouth, and then move on.  Fear is deceiving.

 I have written before that, the worst has already happened and I'm still moving forward, but fear still tries to jump back on board.  Like some train robber, it runs alongside of my life, trying to jump aboard or at least hang on to some opening in my mind so that it can whisper it's influence.  My understanding was reinforced this week with my dad.  My dad is a fearful person.  You wouldn't  know it by talking to him or if you first met him. He's not afraid to speak his mind or tell you what you're doing wrong, but he is afraid.  He was valedictorian of his high school back in the day, and turned it down because he was afraid to speak to the class.  He survived the depression as a child and that fear, I believe, embedded itself deeply in him and he's never let it go.  It surfaces in subtle ways.  I can only imagine how the reactions and words I heard as a child, that I have no memory of now, helped to train my thinking to align with something similar.  Fear the future. Fear what might happen--what could happen. 

Heres' the light bulb moment.  Almost every day I've come home from work, he as had a 'fear' question for me.  "The phone rang, today."  "Did you answer it?"  "Well, I wasn't going to be then I thought it might me you, or J, so I answered it."  "Good.  How'd it go?"  "It was someone asking if you wanted to change your electric company."  "What did you tell them?"  "I hung up." Said with a hint of a worried look.  "That's okay, dad. You can answer the phone anytime it rings."  Conversations like that.  But the one that clicked on the light bulb and gave me the 'ah ha' moment was,  "I didn't let the dogs out."  "That's okay."  "What if they have an accident?"  "Then I'll clean it up.  Don't worry, dad, it's no big deal." 

I realized that I used to worry about those things.  I have a clean house and house train my dogs, but accidents happen, and I clean it up, and life goes on.  When my dad asked me that question, with that familiar sense of this unknown dark dread attached, it took another one of those layers off of me.  I'll clean it up and life will be the same, nothing will have changed.  It's not going to melt through the floor, or damage the carpet.  I'll clean it up and it will be over.  We won't have to worry about it anymore.  I wasn't worrying about it, my dad still was. 

So, this experience with addiction has helped me in some ways. Made me stronger, more aware.  But it has also worn me down. Ironically, that wearing down has been the key that unlocked this cage of fear I've been trapped in.  I'm out and looking around, and I wonder, "What was I so afraid of?"

4 comments:

  1. I agree - it is helpful to get to come out the other side of those things we've dreaded/feared. We just have to work on our own thought process every time those types of thoughts recur. It seems like all of our addicts have some type of predisposition to anxiety or actual anxiety disorder - which has been found to be very genetically caused,..so it would figure that we parents would also be (at least 1 parent) likely to have anxiety issues as well. For my son,...anti anxiety medicine very much helped him - once he's clean from other drugs that let it work. It can be life altering in a positive way, to stop the feelings of dread & fear. It really is brain chemistry related. Hope you don't mind my comment. You are a very strong & also compassionate person. I always enjoy reading your posts - other than knowing of all the pain & difficulties you've endured. It's true though - what hasn't killed us has made us stronger. I never thought I could get through what I have, as well as I have.
    We're tougher than we'd thought ! Good post to think about - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beach.....was your son able to take "regular" anxiety meds? They won't give my girl "the real deal" because of her addictions. So she takes buspar or neurontin....which she swears are placebos and useless. Just curious. I think that ativan, xanax, valium, some of the stronger anti-anxiety meds, are really needed, but its a vicious cycle because of their addictions. Without them they are riddled with anxiety and the pull to numb themselves with drugs or alcohol is always there. With them the temptation to mis-use them is always just a pill away.

    Anyway....sorry Signe, to go on in your comments.

    I loved the positive aspect you showed us of being worn down. I feel very worn down right now....but when I find myself in this place, that is when I begin to rely on God's power and not my own knowledge and understanding and strength.

    Living in fear is exhausting. Your poor papa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette - he's now not as wracked with anxiety as he once was - but does struggle with depression & takes Wellbutrin fir that - which REALLY helps him. I swear,...all of his relapses(once he really did want to be clean) happened when he'd go off the anti depressant - not even purposely- but because he'd forget to take it. That's been a huge challenge for him, & truly, only recently, did he finally get it to the point that he's making it a priority to take it daily without skipping it - far as I can tell - since he's now not living with us.
    However,...he was treated for anxiety with Paxil from when he was very young - as in 9 years old,..& that was after 2 yr.s of his pediatrician thinking he should take something & me not wanting to do it. But when he did - his anxiety literally went away within a week. It was incredible. Of course, as you know - he ended up becoming an addict anyway - and I think it really was connected to him getting into pot smoking that negated the effects of his medicine. He had other major emotional issues that all fed into it. But what I saw for him made me realize how much it's all brain chemistry - as well as my experiences with kids with ADD/ADHD & how much their lives can improve when treated with medication - you'd have to see it to believe it,...but it would bring tears to your eyes. I'd think the doctors wouldn't be against giving your daughter Paxil or Wellbutrin or Lexapro or something like that. She so deserves to feel peace in her thoughts & emotions. I'll keep praying for her. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette and Beach. Thank you for the comments and dialogue. It helps sharing experiences and ideas. It helps in trying to understand this whole process. :)

    ReplyDelete