I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

In Disagreement

I am still working on not being afraid. I'm trying to take notes and keep a log of the writings, advice and ideas that I learn.  I'm not sure if I have just become more aware of the topic or if there is a Divine hand pushing me to get this straight once and for all.  I say that because the topic has been popping up unexpectedly throughout the day(s),  For instance, I was walking around a local book store and in the check out line, someone had placed a small book concerning fears on the little table where some chocolate candies were artistically displayed. I glanced through it as I waited in line.  I was drinking my coffee Sunday morning on the couch and turned on the television to listen to some news. Instead, there was a TV minister talking about facing your fears.  Honestly, I don't even really like listening to him, but this message hit home and he had some good points. 

As I was driving home, yesterday, I was thinking about being afraid and I realized I'm not afraid of the present or the future.  It's the past that keeps jumping in front of me, waiving red flags, reminding me of what has happened, not what will happen.  Unfortunately, that seems to be enough to paralyze my thinking enough resulting in me inviting in all of the negative 'what if,' agains' to tease and torment my mind.

I like having a plan of action.  You can tell me all of the negative scenarios that might happen, but if you don't give me a plan of action, I don't want to hear it.  Telling me to force those negative thoughts out of my head when they begin their chattering, isn't really a plan.  In fact, I have found that trying to push them out, really, makes me think more about them.  As I'm trying to squeeze them out of my mind, they somehow become bigger and more inflated the more I try not to think of them.  The TV minister on Sunday morning, though, gave me a plan that I can use.  Simple and it aligns with the spiritual teachings I know are true.  He reminded the audience that whatever two people agree upon here is bound in heaven.  He added that that principal can also work in the negative. If you think (and agree) with the negative, that can also be bound in the spiritual.  His simple plan was when that negative thinking begins,  say to yourself or out loud, "I'm not in agreement with that."  How simple.  How direct. How final.  My mind focuses on that, and the negative thought is kept outside. 



2 comments:

  1. I wish you and I could meet for coffee. I think we are so similar in so many ways. Sometimes the past feels like its nipping at our heels.

    I recently had a client from the South, your home state I believe, and she had me cook boiled cabbage and red potatoes for her with butter and salt and pepper on top. At first I thought it would be disgusting, but I had some and I really liked it. It made me think of you...."I wonder if Signe likes food like this too?" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny, Annette. My mom cooked that growing up, and I do like it. :) Another good one called haluski (pronounced: ha-lush-key):boiled cabbage and egg noodles with salt, pepper and butter and sometimes I add cottage cheese. If you liked the potatoes, you'll love this. :)

    ReplyDelete