I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Seven Things

Thank you, Annette!  What an honor it is to have someone want to know more about you. :)  But, before I start, I would like to pass this on to Dee, Barbara and Sydney.  I'm looking forward to reading more about them, too. 

Okay, my seven things:

1.  I used to row in a corporate crew team. I don't row anymore because I hurt my knee, and trying to crawl out of the boat with a bad knee is not only embarrassing, but very difficult.   Crew is a sport you either love or hate, and I love it.  I fell in love with it going to my daughter's meets. A friend of mine found a team, and we joined. The best thing; after our first summer of rowing, our boat raced in The Head of the Ohio. It's held in Pittsburgh, and starts on the Allegheny river and goes to the point, where the three rivers meet and the head of the Ohio river starts.  It is grueling! We were one of two eights in our heat with only women (trust me, if you have a man rowing with you, it is so much easier).  As it happened we raced against the only other 8 with all women--not planned, it just happened that way. It really was a neck in neck race, but we won! Better yet, we came third over all and got a bronze medal! That was like winning the gold.

2.  I coached a girls softball team for 9 years. It was a huge learning experience for me about a lot of things. The guy who coached with me was hysterical. I love surrounding myself with funny people, and he was one if the funniest. I laughed for 9 years straight.

3.  I love watching movies, especially the ones made during the 1940's. I loved the way the women dressed. I love that there was an honor and dignity about everything.

 4. My dream is to have a cottage by the beach, or a stream. One that looks like the cottages in Ireland. Simple with a huge fire place in the kitchen. I would love to move to Salem, MA or Port Townsend, WA. Both of those places felt like home to me, and my cottage would fit right in there.

5. My favorite food is pickled herring. Next, is sauerkraut and dumplings. Buttermilk would be my beverage of choice.  I blame that all on my Germanic and Swedish ancestors.

 6. I could talk about God, and the spiritual and mystical all day long-literally. I never tire of that subject. I believe in the supernatural, miracles, and that the world as we know it is far more interesting and magical than we give it credit.

7.  I love pottery. Not the refined kind, though I like that, too. I love the rustic looking, hand thrown pottery. I look for it at yard sales, craft shows, and I've made some of my own. At one point, my house was starting to look like an archaeological dig, I was collecting so much. I think it goes back the the biblical idea that God is the potter and we are the clay. I am also drawn to angels and ladybugs. The angels, well, because they're interesting and close to God. The ladybugs because of the movie Under the Tuscan Sun. In one part one of the characters talks about searching for ladybugs as a child and never finding them, until she fell asleep in a field and woke up and they were crawling all over her, so--relax, don't worry and life will come to you.

The End.  Thanks for letting me share. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh we have so much in common! My husband coached softball for years too and our girls played and I was the helper mom. So fun!!! I love old movies and I want D and I to retire to a yurt by a stream or lake. lol He says, "All of these years of working and I'm going to retire to a tent?!" I'm just thinking of paying cash and having no payments in our old age. :o) One of my clients LOVED pickled herring and rye bread sauerkraut and buttermilk. I thought it was gross but I adored her.....she was a Holocaust survivor. A fascinating woman. I can talk about our relationships with God, I love hearing the miracles God works for us and the hope He imparts. I also love hand thrown pottery and I look at the thrift stores for it! Wow...I have never been a rower though. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so me in my cottage, you in your tent. After I fish for my herring, I'll row over and we can talk about God as we look for pottery at the local thrift store. :)

    ReplyDelete