I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Friday, May 11, 2012

A Good Book

Growing up, I never liked talk radio. Everywhere we went, though, my dad had the radio turned to a station that had only news or people talking.  I remember sitting in the back seat of the car, listening to those voices and wondering how my dad could stand listening to all of that talking. But, I never asked to turn to a music station because that would mean opera or some kind of classical and at that age, that was just as bad.  So, I either fell asleep or stared out of the window watching the scenery flash by.

It's funny how as you grow older, your parents' actions become more understandable.  I love music, but there are times that I want to hear something else, so, now I listen to talk radio.  Usually, I listen to it at night.  There is this station that has a lot of talk radio.  I'm so tired at night, I am usually asleep shortly after my head is on the pillow.  This one program comes on very late at night. I have never listened to much of it.  I click on that button that lets you listen for an hour and then the radio turns off by itself (I don't know the technical term).  This show has some crazy stuff on it.  I turn it on if I wake up during the night (I guess it's really early morning).  If I lay in the quiet, I start listening for all of the noises an old house makes.  Then I start thinking. Then my mind wakes up and I can't go back to sleep.  If I click on this station, I'm back to sleep in no time.  I remember bits and pieces of what they talk about.  Usually topics like UFO's, ghosts, angels, some topics are interesting some scary some just weird. I keep a note pad and pencil by my bed because in the past, some of the guests on the program have some information that as I'm drifting off, sounds interesting, so I try to write it down, because I can never remember it in the morning if I don't.  My handwriting during that half sleep/awake state is funny to read.  But most of the time I can decipher it once my brain is awake. 

Anyway, I have written down three good book titles from that radio show.  I'm reading two of them now.  I don't usually read more than one book at a time, but these have to do with the brain, depression and realigning your body/self, so I'm reading them like I would a text book trying to get as much information from them as possible.  The first book, I think, is called, Quiet, or something like that. I suggested it to my daughter because she's always using her being shy as an excuse for a lot of things and the author of that book writes about all of the good qualities and contributions of people who've been quiet in nature--as opposed to loud and out-going. 

The two I'm reading are called, The Code to Joy, and The Instinct to Heal: curing stress, anxiety, and depression without drugs and without talk therapy.  It's been slow going reading them, but they are very thought provoking and different from anything else I've read.  I'm hopeful they can help me retrain my thinking and help me to feel like myself, again.  I'll keep you posted. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am interested in the "quiet" book. My youngest daughter and my addict daughter are both very quiet people....even when they are loud, they are quiet. :o) Unlike their mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (lol...Annette) The title of the book is called "Quiet". The author is Susan Cain.

    ReplyDelete