I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Insidious

My daughter went to an AA meeting while I was at my Al-Anon meeting. They meet in the same building. This was last night. I am so hopeful.  Today, on the way to church, we talked about what was discussed at our meetings.  One issue that was discussed at the Al-Anon meeting was the idea of alcoholism being a disease (all addiction, for that matter).  The woman who heads the meeting called it a disease of choice.  I raised my hand, and said that I wasn't sure it was a choice.  Another woman said that she agreed, that it was a difference in brain chemistry.  I said that I agreed more with that. It was explained to me once, in a more scientific way.  I explained (more simplistically) that imagine that there is a bridge in your brain that connects part of your brain with the section that aides in feeling good/content, where the serotonin is stored.  In non-diseased brains, that bridge is strong and can handle a lot of traffic, so the serotonin is always able to be carried across the bridge to other parts of the brain.  In brains of people who have that addiction disease, that bridge is not so strong.  And if they drink alcohol or take drugs, pretty soon that bridge gets worn away and depends on the alcohol/drug to transport the serotonin, BUT it does not transport the good serotonin. It kind of substitutes itself and tricks the brain into thinking it is working but really it isn't.  When a person sobers up, and stays sober, the miraculous healing of the brain, rebuilds the normal/natural bridge.  BUT if they would start using, again, that artificial substance (alcohol/drugs) tears the bridge down, again, and begins substituting the harmful poison of the alcohol/drug instead of the healthy serotonin.  That is why it is a disease.  When I was done with that explaination, the woman in the meeting said, "Maybe it isn't so much of a choice." 

As my daughter and I talked about it, she said it is a very insidious disease because it creeps up on you.  You don't realize what is happening.  She said it is like Type 2 diabeties or skin cancer. With both of those diseases, you can have remission (just like with substance abuse). With Type 2 diabeties, if you eat right, and exercise, you can pretty much stay healthy.  But, if you decide to eat cake and ice cream and not exercise, then the disease takes over.  Same with skin cancer. If you get it taken care of, and then stay out of the sun and wear protection when you are outside, chances are you will be okay.  If, however, you decide to continue going out into the sun unprotected at the worst times of the day, then you risk getting cancer, again. 

The choice in alcoholism and addiction, is to choose  to abstain. But being sad, and wanting to feel good (happy) are strong motivators.  Alcohol is all over movies, commercials, picnics, parties, socializing events.  It is hard, once you have the disease, to readjust your life. So much interfers.  Socializing, the stigma involved, shame, guilt, all of those horrible feeling emotions.  But it can be done.  It takes committment to yourself and a shift in thinking and, I think, an understanding of what the disease is about.  And the true happiness comes with sobriety.  I haven't heard on person say, my life is worse being sober.  I have only heard from those who have reached soberity say how blessed they feel finding soberity.

I am praying for recovery for all of those fighting addiction.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that there is a different brain chemistry etc. I also think there is a choice involved whether to nurture sobriety or their disease. I like your analogy of the bridge.

    ReplyDelete