I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Working Something Out

Well, my daughter called me at work yesterday.  Where she is they can only call home at certain times. Though she sounded well, I could tell something was amiss.  She was talking to me in code.  She kept repeating, "this place is like Gateway."  I finally got the meaning.  One time she went to a place to get counseling, and the counselor was not good.  I noticed that when I went to the family meetings.  Anyway, she told me that she had written me a letter, and was mailing it, yesterday. I don't think it's going to be a good letter. She said she was meeting with her counselor one-on-one, today.  I told her to tell the counselor what she was thinking.   Part of her problem is that she internalizes everything, so let it out.  Right?   

I bought her a card, today on my way home from work, and I'm going to tell her that just because the counselor isn't good, doesn't mean she still can't get some good out of the program.  Even if she just journaled and prayed every day, it would be better than what she was doing here.    Being away from here I think is good for her, just to break up the spiral she was spinning in.  Being sober.  Seeing different people.  A change. 

I can't let it worry me, though.  I have to have faith that God will work something out.  I am praying he will position people to guide her.  Mostly, I'm praying that she will finally move closer to God.  I think things would work out, then.

4 comments:

  1. It is so hard to know if there is really wrong or dysfunctional in their program or if they are just feeling the discomfort of facing themselves and understanding that something has to change and its going to take time and hard work.

    I think what you told her was perfect. If something seems off, then stay away from that but use the good parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette is right. You don't even want to get involved in that. Surely they are helping her.(?)

    Actually, I'm surprised they let her call at this stage!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Annette and Dee. I like what you said. I can't understand how the whole program could be bad, especially when that kid in the waiting area had said that it helped him. (sober for a year, now). And you're right, Dee, I don't want to get involved. The silence here has been helpful for me. Thank you for listening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting on the next post....what has been going on this week?

    ReplyDelete