I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Spot on My Faith

Another crazy day, yesterday.  My daughter said that she was going to go to a rehab facility about 4 hours from here.  She had to be at the office to catch the van at 11:30 am.  I left work during my prep (thanking God for such a compassionate and understanding boss) to drive her there.  On the way over here I was praying, praying, praying.  When I got here, she was asleep on the couch.  I woke her and she said she wasn't going to go.  Long story short, a big fight, verbally and physically (pushing each other, grabbing, pulling hair) I called the counselor, and told her to forget it.  She said, "You're dealing with the disease now, not your daughter...it's a process, not progress." (or something like that).  She said we'd try again, later.  After all of that, I splashed some water on my face, brushed my hair and went back to work.  (Insanity).  And on the way, asked God why He didn't intervene.

Last night, I was lying in bed thinking about all of this.  For a few weeks there, I did have some calm.  I can feel the rage bubbling back, again, though.  But I do have faith that God is in control, and could work miracles...all of it.  But this doubt pushes in, and I say, "But if You were a loving God, You wouldn't allow all of this bad to happen."  It is hard to block out that other voice, especially when things are so bad.  Then I thought about this TV commercial I saw once.  I think it was about some laundry detergent, because the person had on a clean shirt, but there was a spot.  When he was talking to another person, that other person didn't hear what the person with the spot on his shirt was saying, he only 'heard' the spot."  It was funny, but is a good metaphor for my faith, I think.  Each day, I wake up wrapped in clean, fresh Faith.  Except, I look down, and once the day has started, I see a spot, and that spot all day long is 'talking.' So, when something frustrating happens, I don't feel covered anymore, I hear, "If God really loved you He wouldn't let this happen."  or "It works for everyone else, but you." or "You're always going to be on the outside, God's never going to invite you in."  Thoughts like that.  And so, I end the day feeling spotted, and not crisp. 

I know life was never promised to be fair, or safe, or even happy.  But I can't help but fall back to that thinking (and I do feel as though I'm 10 years old, pouting in my room).  God is in control of everything.  Our family has committed themselves to God, and yet here we are in this damp,  dirty laundry room, dark and musty with resentments,  spotted with lost hope, and chest crushing sadness.  As always, I will try to wash something today, but what I really need is a good spot remover.

4 comments:

  1. Signe, I am so sorry she refused, and I know the pain you must be going through. I know from experience that for addicts it sometimes takes a catalyst for them to be sick and tired of their addicted life...an overdose, arrest, jail, or even an intervention. Some of them never tire of it and that is so, so hard to take. We are in pain and we want to save our child so we will try anything. I pray that none of those happens to your daughter, but that perhaps she finds someone in her life that has gone through it and inspires her. Be well, Signe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dee. A maddening part of this is that a few years ago, she was at a group counseling sesson, with a counselor she did not like (I wasn't thrilled with her, either) and that counselor announced to everyone that there are some people who will never recover (a statement that I don't think should have been said to a group of people who are struggling and feeling doubt to begin with) Anyway, my daughter latched onto that statement, and I believe is convincing herself that she is in that group. Why she believes that and not that she could recover I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep in mind that God is a gentleman. He does not demand or force or coerce us to surrender to Him. It is our choice. He mercifully *allows* us to flounder and to wade around in our own muck, experiencing the natural consequences of our actions until we are ready to surrender our will and accept His as our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me smile, Annette. I have a very close friend who feels like you do about God. I, on the other hand, seem to be either arguing or debating God almost daily (Why this? Why that? You could have maybe done this, instead) Thank you for your gentle words, I do appreciate every one.

    ReplyDelete