I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Starting My Day With a Cup of Worry

I start back to work, today.  After a summer of being around and able to monitor (sometimes from a distance, sometimes up close) my daughter, I'm feeling a little anxious.  That nervous stomach feeling, again.  After what happened on Sunday, I have been very hopeful. She has made an appointment for intensive out-patient therapy beginning next week.  She will have classes in the morning, and then Tues.,Wed., and Thursday from 6-9 counseling groups.  She went in on her own, and has even said she wanted to start going to a bible study group Sat. @ 6 p.m. with some other students in her class.  (I have always admired the people who are so committed to God, that no matter what they do, school, work, free-time, they find the time to come together to study the bible).  Anyway, this has all been good.  My brain, however, seems to love slopping around in past memories and miseries.  For three weekends in a row, something negative, and potentially devastating, has happened concerning alcohol.  Was that the grand finale?  Or a speeding up of a crisis to come?  This is how my brain works.  Then, for a split second, it relaxes and tells me to relax.  (Do you know I have gone through red lights because my brain has been so occupied with this type of thinking?  I have made repeated trips up and down stairs, into stores, turning around in various streets because I passed up the one I was meaning to turn onto, because my mind has been so occupied).  Then, I start thinking, "Will these unspoken, worried, negative thoughts somehow seep into her aura, then to her brain, and then to the bottle?  CRAZY thinking! I have found those pockets of peace the last few days.  I think I'm ready to attach them to a vest, now. Wish I was a more accomplished seamstress.

4 comments:

  1. I have found that my worrying sends a message that I do not believe my daughter is capable of anything other than what she has been doing. It robs her of her dignity. It is *my* fear that is directing my actions and my words when I am in that place. The best thing I have learned is to get out of the way. I am not always successful, but I am getting stronger and better at doing that and I am able to have my own obligations to tend to, my own life to focus on. It sounds like your girl is making some really good and courageous decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Annette. I need all of the encouragement I can get. Your words are so helpful to me. Sometimes I don't know if I'll be able to survive this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Signe - I hope you can allow yourself to become immersed in work, because YOU are just as important as your girl. Prayers and hugs coming your way. She made a good decision today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Dee. I so appreciate your support. Please know you in my prayers and thoughts, too.

    ReplyDelete