I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Serpents and Doves

When I was in my third year of college, a friend of mine got engaged and then married.  They were renting an older, cottage-like home near my parent's house.  When we were growing up we had a relationship where sometimes we were close for a few years and then we'd grow apart, then get close again, then grow apart and at that time we were close, again.  She had a very electric personality. Energy all of the time.  Time spent with her was always fun.  It was summertime, in the early evening.  I had just got home from a summer job at a local park (my favorite job of all time).  She called and wanted me to come with her to run some errands--nothing that needed me to dress up, so I showered and changed into my jeans and a t-shirt.  Pulled my hair back and sat on the porch and talked with my mom until she pulled up.  It was an easy time in my life. 

When I got into the car, as usual, she was already talking about everything.  One topic I remember was about a girl who worked with her husband.  They had been on a company picnic that weekend apparently this girl had annoyed my friend.  I remember, as she was driving, she was complaining about this girl. She felt her personality was 'weird.'  "How so?"  "She's always in the conversation."  "I'm not sure how that's bad."  "Well, she thinks she knows it all."  "Oh,"  I said, nodding my head, understanding how annoying that can be.  Me agreeing with her seemed to fuel her justification for not liking this girl because then she started in on how she looked.  "Yeah, and she never wears make up, she always has her hair in a ponytail. Always wears glasses and she never dresses up--she always wears the same thing.  Pants and a shirt."  I took a quick, mental assessment of my own appearance--no make-up, hair pulled back, my standard jeans and a t-shirt.  I remember smiling and looking over at her, "Uh, Cath...you just described the way I look right now." She quickly took her eyes off of the road to glance at me.  Then she looked me in the eyes and we both started laughing.  "Well, you look good, it looks different on her, besides, I think she even has a mustache, and you don't have that."  "Right."   I giggled and she laughed and the conversation moved to another topic.

Funny what you remember.  In fact, I hadn't thought of that conversation for a while, not until recently when I was thinking about how people judge persons with an addiction.  I was at work and there is a family who's parents are active in their addictions.  They have children that attend our school.  When we, as professionals, are at meetings talking about this family, you can see the disgust in their expressions and the lack of understanding in their words.  This isn't the only family like this.  A sad fact is that more and more children are living with one or more parent who is addicted to drugs or alcohol.  I have been to several meetings with parents who's slurred speech, and gingerly movements cause a lot of glancing around the table and then a lot of talk after the meetings.  Once or twice I've smelled alcohol on a parent, but their actions seemed normal, so the meetings progress normally. 

It's tragic.  However, my point here isn't about how tragic that is.  It is about how people can find one thing not to like about someone or a situation, and then build on it.  Like my friend did.  She didn't like how that girl acted like she 'knew it all' and when I agreed that that was annoying, she began adding other traits, that she had apparently forgiven me for or had even overlooked, because she liked me.  At these meetings with the parents who are struggling, my colleagues (some of who are counselors)  grab onto the 'addiction' and lose the person. No one seems to take into account all of the parts that are involved.  My suggestion this week was to address the elephant in the room, but no one wanted to do that.  "We can't.'  "Why?"  ""Legal issues."  "Really? What?"  "There isn't any real proof, just our suspicions."  "Hmmm."  It goes like that.  Then they start talking about the parents, again.  I did speak up a few months, ago. I spoke up, again, yesterday.  All I said was that,  "If you dehumanize the parents because they have a problem, you will never make any progress.  I don't think anyone is happy that their life has gone down this path.  Keep the children safe, but I don't think we should forget that the parents may need just as much compassion and help."  I think I heard about fifty crickets after I said that, but I felt compelled to say it, so I did. 

"All things work together for good to them that love God."  I wish this hadn't happened to my daughter, but I can see how there is good in all situations.  I am clearer on how not to jumble every personality and trait into an excuse to justify my judgment.  My view of the person is becoming clearer--as is the mess that may be around them.  I understand Matthew 10:16 better, "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."  I'm wiser to the behaviors and boundaries that are needed, but more gentle to the person.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am SO glad and grateful that you said what you did to your fellow staff members. I agree with you 100%. Sometimes I hear people make harsh judgements toward addicts....calling them "scumbags" or "dirty junkies." Those comments are like a slap across the face when I hear them. Of course the people saying them have no idea that I have a daughter that would fall under *their* definition. Sometimes I say something, but sometimes not.

    "If you dehumanize the parents because they have a problem, you will never make any progress. I don't think anyone is happy that their life has gone down this path. Keep the children safe, but I don't think we should forget that the parents may need just as much compassion and help."

    I love that....such a message of compassion and Christ's vision for His broken children....because we all are God's children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - how I LOVE LOVE your comment to your fellow educators ! And - oh, how I can relate to all of this ! I sit in those same meetings & see how common the judgement can be, even when it's total B.S. to begin with -- like an ADHD kid whose biology/condition makes it hard for him/her to control impulses, listen, etc.,...& the deciding educators blame the parents-- covertly, of course. It pisses me off to no end. Then - I had another little boy as my student ( also with very obvious ADHD)who was having a very hard time ,..whose mom came to the conference with the dad- although divorced from him. She actually nodded off briefly a couple of times in the meeting & it REALLY mad me angry - although. Of course, I didn't show it. The dad had already told me the mom had struggles with addiction. I did let an administrator know - but I know none of it was acknowledged nor addressed. I know that's kind of the opposite of what you're saying - but my heart was with that little boy, my student - and I'd seen him cry before when she was supposed to pick him up, but didn't show. What I'm saying though -- is that my hackles go up when my fellow teachers judge parents, which happens all too often,..& they ( the teachers ) have no real idea of all the working parts that are related to what's happening. And what kids do negatively aren't necessarily the fault of their parents !! Those teachers I work with - the majority of them, but not all, - don't know, nor would think that I have a drug addict son. My closest teacher friends (very few) where I work, do know - but sadly,..the stigma & misunderstanding remain & I've been less than honest about it at work as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beach, I agree with everything you've said. I can also appreciate your frustration. I too, 'live a double life' at work. No one knows.

    ReplyDelete