I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Friday, June 15, 2012

School's Out

The students' last day was yesterday.  The school was fairly bursting with emotions and energy of all kinds.  When  the bell rang for the end of the day and the kids were leaving, I stood at the door wishing them a good and safe summer.  Some wanted hugs, other high-fived me.  Kids are funny.  One little boy, I've written about him here, before, hugged me so hard I had to pry him off.  He gives me a lot of 'challenges' but I love him to death.  He's skinny, blond,  with freckles poured all over his face.  His emotions erupt through his big blue eyes and fair skin.  When he's upset, tears start to form a brim of tears around his reddening eyes and his freckles stand out more under the reddening cheeks.  He looked up at me, yesterday, and he looked like that.  "What's wrong?"   Between gritted teeth.  "I don't want to leave." (he doesn't like change--very routine loving)  "Aw, honey.  You're going to have a great summer!  And I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures when we come back."  "Really?"   "Really."   Deep breath sucked in. A few seconds to think and then,  "Okay then, Ms. R.  Have a nice summer.  I'll be here next year."   "Okay, then, have fun this summer.  See you in September."   

He walked away, looking back once to wave.  It was so sweet. 

Then, when the school was empty of children, they played the Hallelujah Chorus over the intercom. 

I love tradition.

2 comments:

  1. LOL that made me laugh out loud literally....the Hallelujah Chorus part. I'm telling you.....you and Torey Hayden are so similar. You would relate to her so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does she write here? Or is she an author I should read?

    ReplyDelete