I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Forgiveness

I understand all about forgiveness.  I understand that forgiveness is more for the person doing the forgiving than the one being forgiven. The person doing the forgiving has let go of their hate or anger and has begun to heal.  Not necessarily so for the person being forgiven. They may never 'get it.'  I understand the healing power of forgiveness.  I understand the difficulties of taking those first plodding steps of forgiveness; about how each step becomes easier and easier until you've run toward the person you're forgiving and through that memory sprinting to a more open and enlightened future. Not even considering looking back to the bad memories.   I understand that forgiveness doesn't mean condoning the action. I understand that you can choose to forgive and forget or forgive and remember; just tucking the memory away.  Though, I think it's healthier to not hang on to the bad memory.  I understand it's okay to forgive and just walk away.  You don't have to keep exposing yourself to the person you're trying to forgive.  Forgiveness doesn't mean acceptance. Forgiveness means letting go and if letting go means moving on in a literal sense, then that's okay to do. 

I can honestly say I don't hate anyone.  There are people I'd rather not be around, but I can truly say there is no one I think and stew about.  I have forgiven anyone who I feel has hurt me.  From Nina, my best friend in sixth grade who, literally over night became my hated enemy (later I found out she was mad that some boy she liked liked me and not her--ironically, I didn't know he liked me and I didn't like him anyway!  lol...sixth grade memories).  Anyway, all through high school she would go out of her way to say something mean to me when she saw me. There were nine hundred in our graduating class, so it's not like I saw her a lot, but still, at the time it hurt.  She was forgotten about the day I received my diploma.  Forgiven.  My dad and I got a long when I was little, but as I got older, he found fault it a lot.  I don't know what he was processing in his head. I can't say that I held a grudge, but it did hurt.  When my mother died, I watched him drifting around the room, tears glistening on his cheeks. My heart broke for him.  Forgiven.  Two years ago, I was talking with him and I asked him if he had any good memories of me growing up.  He asked me if I had any of him, and I said, "Yes."  He, on the other hand, couldn't think of any.  Two weekends ago, he told me what  a nice time it had been (when I was over there planting).  I guess he found a good memory.  My ex-husband.  Not a nice man.  A person with so much baggage, being the son and brother of an alcoholic, that he just continues to store the stuff rather than open the bags and sort things out. He takes his aggressions out on others-nothing is ever his fault, it's their fault he does what he does.  He took a long time to forgive.  But I did.  Forgiven.  (Not forgiving takes away too much energy).

I took lasagna and a salad for lunch to my dad, yesterday.  His favorite dessert, butter pecan ice-cream. We ate lunch, took a drive, came home and had ice-cream.  It was a good day.  The drive home takes about a half an hour.  I'm not sure if it was the music, or the blue-black clouds of an impending storm on the horizon, but I started to think about forgiveness.  I started thinking about my daughter.  I started thinking about everyone's daughter or son with an addiction.  And I thought, "How do I forgive God?"  That sounds so arrogant, doesn't it?  I don't mean it to.  But how do you forgive God?  He's all powerful.  He preforms miracles.  He parted seas and can cause a mountain to crumble if necessary.  So, why can't or won't He wipe clean the minds of all of these struggling people? Why won't He heal them?  Why won't He miraculously pull our children out of this hell?  I know all about not knowing the mind of God. I know we're not on His same time. I know about
Free Will.  The choosing and all of that.  My children have Free Will, but I didn't let them run into the street when they were little.  I didn't dye my daughter's hair red when she was five because she wanted to be The Little Mermaid. Sometimes Free Will needs guidance from a more experienced source. I've read in the Bible that Jesus said if you ask your earthly father for a loaf of bread he won't give you a stone...how much more will God in heaven give to those who ask?  (I'm paraphrasing). Am I asking in the wrong way?  Is there a time where Free Will becomes less monitored? Are we children of God in name only?

I know I sound like I'm whining. But I'm not going to feel guilty about it because that's the whole point of this blog, is to get out what I'm thinking to try and process it.  I know He knows best.  So, does that mean is this the best?  Oh my goodness, I pray that is not so.




7 comments:

  1. Gosh so much here. Our relationships with our dad's are our first and most important relationships with a man....I wish that father's took that responsibility more seriously and understood what an honor that position is. To say he has no memories of your childhood... so sad, so hurtful for you.
    As to forgiveness and the miraculous capabilities of God...I had a friend many years ago (my bridesmaid) who was very overweight. She got mad at God because she asked Him to "heal" her of her weight. To make her thin. "I mean he can right!? He can do miracles and He just is choosing not to!" It didn't happen and she stopped going to church and hasn't gone back to this day....and is still really overweight and still really mad at him. This was more than 25 years ago. Her thinking was "He can, why isn't He?!"
    Our children are adults now. I know you know all about choosing and free will...BUT, our adult children get to choose to seek help or not. Get to choose to do it their own way or to surrender and let God take over and guide them. If they don't LET Him guide them, then how can He? God doesn't barge in on our free will. He gave it to us and He lets us exercise it. He only comes where He is invited. And its our addicted kids who have to do the asking. Even our prayers as the parents, does not supersede their free will to choose to seek help or not.
    I know with my own character defects...my food issues, my control issues, my fear issues....if God had come in and just wiped away everything, if it had not been a process of peeling back the onion and learning about what was under there, facing my deepest fears head on, looking them right in the eye, if I had not done any of the work to make my own progress, it would not mean as much or be as lasting or as real of a change. It would be easy to toss it aside. Doing the work, facing my own demons, has changed me in some very real ways.
    It reminds me of my kids friends whose parents paid for all of their schooling, bought houses in their college towns for the kids to live in, provided total monetary support...while their kids went to school and partied. Their kids expected it, didn't appreciate it by all outward appearances because they had nothing of their own invested. Vs the kids who had to work and partner with their parents to make it all happen...they know the value of a dollar, they work hard in school, because they paid for part of it, they don't waste their time drinking and partying every night...they have work to do, they are invested in their own success.
    All we can do is be patient and wait for our children to turn from the lives they are choosing right now. Your girl has it pretty easy...why would she want to change? She gets to live with you at home, her needs are met, she is provided for...and she can drink and do her own thing with pretty much no consequences, other than the misery she puts herself through.
    It was a jarring awakening when I realized I was obsessing and worrying and thinking about my daughter's addictions and dysfunctional life, far more than she was. She wasn't worried or afraid, but I was crazy with worry and fear. Some of that had to become her's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew...that was a long comment. Sorry about that. One last thing, have you ever read the book, "don't Let Your Kids Kill you?" I don't remember the author...its a man. That was a really great book about being the parent of a person with addiction. I think it started out about parenting teenagers, but goes into the situation you and I are in to...adult kids. It is well worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Annette. There is a lot of thought, here. I completely appreciated the 'obsessing and worrying and thinking about my daughter's addictions and dysfuntioncal life," far more than she does. I remember coming to that realization and getting really angry. I always feel like I should defend my choice to not kick her out. When she's sober, she particiates and is a big help. Buying groceries, helping with repairs, being very responsible-being involved in life. When the drinking starts, I avoid her and let her go through whatever it is she does. Yes, I'm always 'listening' and am relieved when she emerges and says she's going to try, again. She has had consequences for her drinking. I think I'm thinking if God isn't intervening when she's sober and making an effort, will He ever? And if He's not going to, then who else but me? Honestly, and I'm scared saying this, I don't think she will recover-totally. I do think this will kill her. So maybe I"m trying to gather all of the moments I can with her--and that's why I'm wondering, when this is all over, how will I forgive God?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this beautiful post on Forgiveness. How true it is that we can look at forgiving God too. I know I've also had issues with this, and to hear someone articulate it makes me feel like I'm not alone in this thought. I'm not crazy, or lack spirituality, or damaged beyond hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Signe.....((HUG)) I know what its like to live with the awareness and fear that your child may never find recovery. I guess when I think of all of that, I just think that the choice is her's (my daughter's) and its not God's fault if she isn't choosing recovery. I am too tired to play God though in her life anymore. THAT almost made me lose everything. My mind, my relationships with the rest of my family, it did use up the majority of our financial resources...I personally, just can't go back there. I can love her, I can be around her, but I can't live with her anymore. My daughter is not solely an alcoholic....she is goes between her addiction to meth and opiates. I can't do it anymore. So I do what I can. Meet for lunch, hug her long and hard, listen to her ramble, love her whether she ever changes or not. We each have to do the best we can with what we have and be sure we can live with our choices. It sounds like that is exactly what you are doing. I did not in any way mean to say you needed to kick her out. Only you know when and if that time will come. I probably shouldn't have made that comment. I meant something else....more that her life seems from what I read here, to be status quo. No real external motivation to change. And that is just my .02 worth from what I read here.....absolutely meaningless in your real life! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annette, thank you for what you've written, here. I can understand about the 'status quo' I feel it too. That is what gives me the feeling that she may not recover. She comes from that 'nothing is good enough' attitude and she admits it and doesn't know why she feels that way. She also admits to 'thinking she knows it all' yet, doesn't know why she doesn't 'humble' herself to stop. I just don't know. But I do appreciate whatever it is you want to comment about. Don't pick and choose your words--I like hearing what others perspectives are. It helps me to view my situation from more than my angle. :)

    ReplyDelete