I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Locks and Keys

I know I've written this here before, but I'm going to probably mention it a lot when I write, because it is in my mind all of the time. God.  I believe in God and miracles.  I believe all of it. If God felt it necessary for me to move a mountain, a real, dirt and rock mountain, I would be able to move it. That's how powerful I know God can be. I also know He can be powerful in the other, quiet direction. I pray every morning. I pray in the car. I pray in the garden. I pray when I'm folding clothes. Not always long prayers, but thank yous and questions.  I am just talking with God all of the time. Having said that, sometimes I need a break.  I took a break, today.  I didn't go to church. I didn't pray in the morning. I just sat quietly on the couch and watched the clock, trying to make wasting time an excuse for missing church.  I know there's going to be smiling faces, encouragement, beautiful music, and an amazing lesson, but I stayed home. 

I needed a break because things aren't working out here.  I don't feel prayers are being answered fast enough.  I go through this cycle.  If God's not on our clock, then what's the point in praying?  If He already knows your heart, why pray?  I know the answers to these questions, but I still ask them.  Mostly, because I'm pouting and being frustrated with God.  I am playing that old, crackly song, "Why Me, God?  What Did I Do Wrong?"  in my head.  I know the lyrics by heart, and sometimes I add new ones.  I get tired of hearing the song, but I play it, anyway.  I get so frustrated.  I play this song, knowing that I have experienced God's hand pulling us out of tragedies, or preventing them all together.  I played the song today, because there have been no miracles in my daughter's thinking, yet. 

It was good here for a while, now it's not good.  We talked today, and I felt scared because she didn't want to talk and seemed so distant.  I think it is important for her to talk.  To get out of the past. I need to get out of the past, too.  I thought about that on the couch.  And then I thought, "How can I get out of the past, when the past won't let me leave?"  I think that's where she is stuck, too.  So, on the couch, in the quiet, pouting and sad, I thought about ways to get out of the past.  What holds me there?  Resentment; What could have been.  SadnessFatigue; It's hard moving forward at times. Anger; Why did this have to happen?  Jealousy; I see how friend's children are moving forward and I fall back to resentment.  Those are the locks on the door to my past.   There are days when I think I have the keys that fit, but though the key goes in, for some reason, they don't turn, so that I can open that door and finally leave.  I sat on the couch for about an hour, trying to figure out where to find the keys. I know God has them somewhere, hidden in a passage or waiting to be spoken by someone.  So, I try to pay attention when I read or when I listen to people.  I went back to talk to my daughter later in the afternoon.  She was still sad, but I stayed and we talked.  Things felt a little better. She is going to try, again.  That might be the start of a miracle, I think.

The weather was beautiful here, today.  Like Spring.  I opened all of the windows. The fresh air smelled wonderful.  I worked outside. I cleared my head.  I'm going to pray, again, in the morning.  I'm going get a good night's sleep so that I can move forward and keep an eye out for those keys.

2 comments:

  1. Oh bless your heart Signe. Its hard to be patient....this I know.

    I know that step 1 really helped me to let go of my expectations of timetables for healing, figuring out what I could do to help the situation, and demanding answers to the very questions you are asking. I still struggle (as you know) sometimes....we are mother's. I think its inevitable. But at least now I have something to go back to to get centered and get my bearings back.

    Have you ever read any parts of the Big Book of AA? The parts about the spiritual malady of alcoholism were helpful to me. Lots of parts were helpful, but those were especially insightful. I have an extra I can send you if you don't have one. ;o)

    ((HUG)) Hang in there.

    PS: And thank you for your comments on my blog. I always love seeing your name pop up. Especially the comment on my most recent post....I always feel like I am boring. I started blogging just for my own sanity...never really counted on anyone actually reading it! Ive led a simple life, not filled travels and education and amazing jobs....but you said I had had "rich" experiences. That meant so much to me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette, thank you for your help. I think my daughter has the AA book in her room. I will look for it when I get home, today, and take your advice. Since I'm turning to reading for awhile, I'm going to try to take in as much as I can. Some new thoughts to ponder. :) Also, the comments are from the heart. You are a well written, well lived woman. :)

    ReplyDelete