I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Words

I realized something about myself, last night, that I don't like.  I'm usually a pretty easy-going person. Calm, not quickly angered.  I thought I was a pretty positive person, or at least I used to be.  Last night, however, I was talking to a friend, and the conversation was generally neutral and good, however, I noticed that I would end a few of my comments or observations with a tiny critical, negative comment. For instance, we were talking about an email that one of our friends sent out.  In the email (and this was a school-wide email) she wrote, "I know I spelt my name wrong..."  My friend said, "That's not right is it?  Spelt?"  I said, "No, she should have written 'spelled'."  My friend, "That's what I thought.  Is spelt even a word?"  (Turns out it is, it has to do with an ancient grain...who knew?)  Anyway, I said, "Well, she should have known better before sending that out...she is a teacher after all."  My friend: "Well, I'm a poor speller, too, it's easy to make mistakes."  Me:  (As I'm noticing I'm being critical and knowing I shouldn't be, here comes another critical comment)  "Yeah, I am too, but she should have known better."  Like I never make mistakes.  I'm a hesitant speller, too.  I carry a dictionary around with me. So, why such a critical comment to a good friend?  We all make mistakes.

I thought about it all the way home.  I thought about it last night. I thought about it this morning.  I think I'm becoming critical because I'm still resentful of the situation, here.  I'm still angry inside that my daughter and our family have been put through this experience.  On the surface, I think I'm handling it fairly well, but on the inside, I think I'm still seething.  That's not good.  I don't like negative jabs.  I don't like the feeling of  those critical comments  as they're leaving my mouth.  I don't like knowing I'm saying something I shouldn't but doing it anyway.  I think I'm wanting someone to notice my hurt and comfort me, so I randomly jab out, like throwing a net.  That net is like asking, "Can your subconscious hear my subconscious crying?  Is my small word-pinch enough to have you focus on the source--my hurt?  Did I get your attention?"  I think that's what I'm doing.  I know about this because the kids I work with do the same thing.  The difference is, I'm an adult. 

So, today, I change.  I know when I'm doing it, I'm just not forcing myself to either keep my mouth shut, or choose different words.  I'm not being lazy in my speech, today. I'm not letting residue anger and resentment guide my thoughts.  Today, my words will be more deliberate and focused on the positive.

4 comments:

  1. So do you feel victimized by alcoholism? Like it randomly just picked your daughter and glommed on to her and now you are stuck suffering the aftermath of your daughter's condition?

    All I can tell you from my experience is that once I could *accept* that my daughter is a drug addict who needs to find her way to health....I don't know why, or how it happened, but that is my reality, I could then get on with the business of getting healthy myself. My daughter will need to find her own path...and I am here for her in every way when and if she wants me to be. But until I am invited, I will mind my own business and focus on my own emotional and physical health.....the only things I have any control or choice over.

    Bless your hurt heart Signe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Annette's comments. (And I always have nothing to say after her because she says it all...and eloquently...)

    Have you read this blog today? http://addictionjournal.net/?p=3026
    He talks about the 5 stages of acceptance and there are a few links. I found it very relevant.

    Signe - We all make mistakes and we all have bad days. You recognized it so quickly though. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette's comments render me the same too,...much as I love them,...& her ! : ). And Signe,...I've done that too. I understand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Annette, for your comments. I do appreciate them. Do I feel victimized? I'm not sure (But I'll start thinking about it, now). I do feel angry, though, and resent the time and distruction it has caused. If I think about it too long, I become very bitter. So, I try to move forward and think about better things (though my brain is always tumbling around the whys, hows and whens of what's happened.) Thanks, Dee, I will read that. Thanks, beachteacher, :)

    ReplyDelete