I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Pot Begins to Fill

After those three days of not being able to get out of bed, my daughter, returned to school and life went on.  And it went on, well.  She had a lot of friends, active in school, home life was fine.  My son was starting to go through some of his own stuff.  I didn't then, but do now, realize that divorce is hard on everyone no matter what the age.  But everyone has good and bad days, and I just thought we were experiencing the normal ebbs and flows of a family relationship.  Apparently during this time, though, my daughter's self image was being chipped away.  At one time in her life she had be very comfortable in her own skin, and now, she had to be a certain weight.  She was on a school rowing team and over heard some of the boys on the team make negative comments about some other girls they saw in the spandex suits the girls had to wear. And so, she became very aware of her body, and very structured in here eating habits and exercise.  A comment she made years later was that it was at this time that during health class, the students were introduced to several mental and emotional health problems that girls might experience, and eating disorders was one of them. She commented to me, she would have never thought of anything like that had she not been exposed to it. She thought it was 'gross' and 'disgusting'.  Two cups of water into the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment