I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Monday, April 8, 2013

The Marble Stairs

I had such a good weekend.  First, the temperature finally went above 30 to an actual 70. What a difference sunshine and warmth makes.  Not only are the flowers starting to push through the hard earth, but feeling that warm sun on your face and smelling that fresh breeze starts to energize all of those dormant emotions, like hope and happiness and just being satisfied with life.

My daughter and I went to this place called the Strip District (I've mentioned it here, before).  The name does not do it justice.  It is a strip or section of town that is unlike anywhere else in the city.  There are street vendors selling clothing, jewelry and food.  There are musicians who set up and sing and play guitars, trumpets and drums.  There are little shops and restaurants.  It is the most diverse and friendly place I've ever visited.  There are people from multiple cultures. America, Mexico, Asia, Poland, Russia, Italy. It's crowded, loud and with all of the different foods cooking, the smells are amazing.  We usually have breakfast, but because of this detox eating, we arrived a little later than usual and just walked around, waiting for the fish store to open, then the spice store, vegetable stands, and last the fun shops. 

There is a church there.  It sits quietly off to the side.  I didn't even know it was there until a friend of mine, when we had gone there one Saturday, made it her mission to, 'find the church with the marble steps.'  When we finally found it, we realized we had been walking past it for years, but since it sits tucked up on a small hill, not far from the main street, it gets passed by.  Anyway, the church has marble stairs that you can not climb by walking.  You have to kneel and move up the stairs that way.  On each step is a pray to say.  When you reach the top, you are in the sanctuary, and can walk through and down the side steps. Of course, the first time I did it, I didn't read the instructions posted clearly on the wall, and went up and back down on my knees.  I walked like an unhealthy 90 year old for about an hour after that.   It is a small, old catholic church. There are beautiful old paintings on the walls, candles burning, Gregorian chants playing on some old stereo system, creaky wooden pews to sit in and the smell of burning incense.  It opens at 9:00 and anyone can go inside to light a candle, sit, meditate, pray, be still.  My daughter and I went there.  In fact, she mentioned that she wanted to go there.  She had never been but I had told her about it.  The church is never crowded.  In fact, in all of the times I've been there generally, it has been just me and my friend.  Once someone was leaving the church and this time, with my daughter, it looked to be the custodian and his wife were there quietly and diligently making the church ready for visitors like us.  We entered the church, stepping into it's small foyer where there are various statues of Mary, Jesus, St. Patrick (name sake of the church).  Candles are lit and waiting to be lit.  The stairs are the first thing you see when your enter.  Beautiful white marble, warn down in spots from the years of people faithfully seeking God.  We whisper.  "What do you think?" "Wow. Are those the steps?"  "Yep."  "What are you going to do?"  "Light some candles. Are you going to climb the stairs?"  "Yes."  

While she climbed the stairs, I lit the two candles, one for her and one for my son, wrote in the prayer book they have and sat quietly.  When she was finished, we walked back up to the sanctuary and sat.  I held her hand and voiced a prayer.  In the sanctuary, sitting alone, even a whispered prayer echos audibly as the serene faces in the paintings quietly seem to be looking on in encouragement and understanding.  We sat a little longer and then left.  Sitting in the quiet and then returning to the crowds makes me realize how important it is to find time to be still.  It does give your inner self refreshment. 

On Sunday, we went to church.  An amazing message, again, from the pastor who I believe is gifted at speaking.  We spent the rest of the weekend running errands and just enjoying...everything. 

How wonderful it feels to have time that is so relaxed.  The conversation was easy.  Even when we talked about addiction issues, a topic that pops up on occasion, it was calm.  I didn't get that queasy feeling and she didn't seem defensive.  We just talked.  It was so nice.

I am praying for more and more days like that.  I am praying for all of us to have those days.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely experience your got to share with your daughter. Truly. That was beautiful. I would love to see that church sometime! The marble stairs sounds like such a special thing to get to do. The shopping on the strip....it all just sounds like a gorgeous day. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - how wonderful it all sounds. SO glad you had that day with your daughter - such a blessing ! You're right- both sunshine & stillness bring us hope & peace.

    ReplyDelete