I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Tragedy

We have a little over 1000 students at our school.  They are grades 4, 5, and 6.  We had a faculty meeting on Thursday where our vice principal spoke, and in lieu of the tragedy that occurred on Friday, what he said was kind of prophetic. 

We have been having trouble with some of the students.  Because they are such 'squeeky wheels' they are always getting attention.  Our principal put it into perspective.  He said that out of 1000 plus students only around 40 are the frequent fliers (always in his office) and out of those 40 only about 10 are really hard core (we're talking fourth, fifth and sixth graders).  That leaves over 900 other students that are great and doing what they need to do--being decent, kind, involved students, but we tend to focus on those 40.  There are 40 buses that are involved with taking the students home.  Of those 40 buses, there are two where most of the trouble occurs on the way to and from school.  And as before the problem students on those buses account for around 10-20 students.  But we focus on the problem students because they cause the most noise. 

I believe that the majority of people in the United States, as well as around the world, are good and decent people.  I believe they love their families and work hard to make life better for themselves and others.  But, there are a few who make the choice to do evil.  Their actions scream their indifference to others.  Life has no value to them--they have become desensitized to its worth. 

I am not debating gun regulation. In China a man entered an elementary school and stabbed several children to death.  I'm not debating knife regulation.  I have a picture of my mother in high school with several other students posing with rifles because they were part of the rifle club.  The rifles were kept at school, and at the end of the day, the students learned about them and then had target practice.  No one was killed.  Something other than weapons has happened to our society. I don't think it is one issue but many; like all puzzles, several pieces work together to make the big picture. 

Serious discussion and action needs to start taking place to resolve this, but in the mean time,  I have learned two lessons from this tragedy.  One is that my focus is not going to be on the 'squeeky wheel'.  Instead I want pay homage to the tender lives that were so selfishly ended.  I watched the news today and said a prayer for each name that scrolled by:  Charlotte, Daniel, Rachel, Olivia, Josephine, Ana, Dylan, Madeleine, Catherine, Chase, Jesse, James, Grace, Emilie, Jack, Noah, Caroline, Jessica, Avielle, Benjamin, and Allison. And the adults, Dawn, Anne Marie, Lauren, Mary, and Victoria.  I don't even remember the name of the shooter, and I'm okay with that.

The second lesson is that life is unpredictable. Sadly, death is woven into life's fabric.  So, appreciate those you love and who are in your lives, daily.  Don't take anyone, any second, for granted because it could be gone in an instant.

1 comment:

  1. Signe....yes. Thank you for this post. Like most of the world, I am reeling from this awful event. Yes, yes, yes.....to everything you said. Thank you. I feel like you brought some clarity for me. I haven't been able to see clearly and have been feeling so overwhelmed, but yes, keep my focus on the rest of the world, and not the squeaky wheel. Yes, ok I can do that.

    ReplyDelete