I am trying to sort out my experiences and thoughts to better understand how to move forward and not stay stuck in the past.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Spiritual Food

I was in Whole Foods, today.  I know it's only a grocery store, but I really love that place.  I feel healthier just walking through the door.  It is a little more expensive than my regular place, but for some special things, it fits the bill.  Anyway, I was waiting at the deli section for a pound of honey turkey breast, and I overheard the guys working behind the counter, that was behind the counter where I was standing.  They were talking about religion, and the one guy said to the other two something to the effect of, "...that's why I don't buy into Christianity..."  Of course my ears perked up.  I didn't catch it all, but the one thing he said was that once--yes once--he had a question and went to a priest or minister--yes, only one--and asked some questions, and he (the priest or minister) didn't have or know the answers.  So, because of that one encounter, that guy seemed to have written off Christianity.  At least that is what he was saying to the other two.  

I was dumbfounded.  When, if you are really interested in finding the answer to something, do you go to only one source?  I mean, if you were sick and went to a doctor who said that he didn't know what the problem was, would you just go home still clueless?  Or would you seek out someone or several someones to get answers from?  Wouldn't you be on line looking up everything you could?  Wouldn't you be at the library researching?  I think people have a passion for researching the newest technology devices.  Looking for a new car requires some research.  Your spiritual health should be just as important, if not more so.

As he was talking we made eye-contact. He kind of looked away and started talking softer.  I probably should have said something  to him, but I didn't.  I just thanked the man waiting on me, and walked away with my lunch meat, and some additional food for my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment